There is moving house, then there is moving house during a global pandemic. If you are like me and recently settled on a property you may know this feeling all too well. Quite frankly you probably deserve a medal.
Take one of life’s known stressors like selling a home, buying a home, or moving, shake it around and inject it with a fist full of steroids and that’s what moving might feel like right now. All around us there is change. Retail is facing closures, travel restrictions are being enforced and we all have a personal radius of 1.5 metres!
To quote Star Trek, “it’s life Jim, but not as we know it“!
If moving is on the cards for you or you know someone moving, please read on.
We’ve received hundreds of calls from the public asking if it’s okay to move during Covid. The answer is Yes! Moving house is considered by the Australian and New Zealand Government to be a legitimate reason to be out.
All our centres are open and we may be able to help you in more ways than you think.
Below are a few tips and tricks from our Teams to keep it simple.
• Don’t do it alone. With restrictions lifted this week, it’s time to check in with a friend or family member. They are a great resource for helping keep things on track or to help cover areas you may have missed.
• Make a list of things to do but, keep it simple and avoid making rash decisions
• This might include things you need at the other end. It’s always nice to make a cup of coffee or reassemble a bed without hunting through 50 boxes to find the Allen keys. Did we mention the bottle opener…
• When it’s time to pack, don’t leave it to the last minute. We can deliver boxes, moving supplies, even mattress covers directly to your door. Our Online Box Shop has a full selection of moving and packing equipment. If you prefer click and click drop in and say hello, we are onsite to help.
• Our Golden Rule is not to over pack boxes with heavy items. The boxes we see our customers struggle with the most is usually always full of books… the last thing you want to do is put your back out trying to lift them.
• Don’t forget to purchase a black marker, this will be your best friend. Label your boxes clearly and with detail. Since it’s 2020 you might also consider taking photos of the contents of each box laid out on the floor.
• Not sure how you might move your goods? Call us! We have a selection of moving options to solve your problems including an enclosed furniture trailer, and believe it or not, we know all the best removalists! You don’t need to have a storage unit to access these services with us either.
• Storage – all too often people are downsizing or in-between homes. If you are stuck for space we have the right size for you. At Kennards Self Storage, customers only pay for the time they need and access in most cases is 24 hours, 7 days a week. Sign up can be done online and takes less than five minutes. Simples!
Whether you need storage, boxes, or some moving advice, don’t do it alone, give us a call, you will be pleasantly surprised.
For the month of May, all calls come with a free ‘virtual hug’, as we know moving sucks and we’re here to help. Just call our Team on 0800 533 748.